Friday 6 November 2020

G Malcolm Lewis

G Malcolm Lewis was mentioned by Richard Daugherty, as sharing the role of Honorary Secretary with him during the 1970s.

He also co-wrote some of the books in the British Landscapes through Maps series, along with others, including one on the Doncaster area that he co-wrote with another former GA President Bryan Coates.

He co-wrote "Geography Beyond A-level: A Student's Guide" for the GA in 1985.

I believe he was an expert in cartography, including that of the Plains Indians and other indigenous peoples. He wrote on Maps of the Americas for the Annals of the Association of American Geographers, and through this article, I discovered he was associated with the University of Sheffield.

From a volume on cartography that he co-edited with Professor David Woodward, it seems he was a Reader in Geography at the University of Sheffield until his retirement.


Mr. Lewis has received numerous awards and fellowships for research interests that include the historical perception of landscape, Native American mapping, and cartographic communication. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...