Sunday 15 November 2020

2nd Land Use Survey

As part of the blog project, I have been collecting a few books that have piqued my interest along the way, and are of reasonable value and price. There are quite a few that have been outside my price range. This cost £3 and is a bargain.

It's a copy of the handbook that was used for the 2nd Land Use Survey in 1968, and is a First edition (although I'm not sure there was a 2nd edition) of the booklet for teachers to ensure that their entries were accurate. The coding system would probably stand up even now, although there are some land uses which are probably not needed any more, and some others which couldn't be plotted using the existing key from the 1960s: I don't suppose the idea of a solar farm had occurred to people, for example.



The inner pages included a colour code for all the different land uses. It's interesting that Dan Raven Ellison brought this up to date in his 'UK in 100 Seconds' video, and will shortly film his UK National Parks version of the concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...