Wednesday 10 February 2021

The move to Solly Street #2

Carl Lee's request for information on the move to Solly Street led me next to Keith Grimwade.

Carl sent me this image showing planned accommodation in the Solly Street area for students. Circle proportional to number of bedrooms. The GA is being surrounded.

Keith Grimwade was President in 2006

Prior to that, he was involved in some of the decision making over the new home for the GA HQ after Fulwood Road was outgrown. 

He told me:

"I was Chair of the Education Standing Committee when it was being discussed at Governing Body. There were three main reasons for choosing the premises in Solly Street:
1. It was affordable
2. It was accessible
3. It had sufficient storage space for the growing range and stock of publications - this was a real bonus, Fulwood Road had become decidedly cramped.

The area was very run down and there were staff concerns about safety. The quiet corners of the building were home to the night time economy. Effort was put into lighting, signage and security and it wasn’t long before the building was left largely alone. There was a feeling that the area was on the cusp of being ‘on the up’ and it wasn’t just geographers joking when the talk turned to cycles of urban regeneration."
Explore the area on Street View here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...