Friday 19 February 2021

Don Garman

Don Garman was featured in a photo I shared a couple of weeks ago called the Presidents XI, taken at the time of John Westaway's Presidency one assumes, given his position in the 'team photo'.

Don was a Member of GA Council.

Frances Soar speculated about the reason for his inclusion in the photo:

Don was present at the 'Past Presidents and Officers' shindig at the Annual Conference which offered this photo opportunity - and it could very well be that as there were only nine Past Presidents around to join the 'team Captain' for the shot they hauled in Don to make up the number to eleven!

Don wrote a book on Primary Geography, with David Lambert.

He was also part of a twin-town link between Cryodon and Arnhem and wrote a resource for that too:
"Investigating Arnhem - Croydon's Twin Town: A Primary and Secondary Resource Pack for History and Geography Spiral-bound – 1 April 1996"

Don is a keen sailor. He inspired the sailor Richard Burchell who sailed in the Clipper Race.

The intrepid crew member puts his desire to sail around the world down to his high school experience. “My sailing experience started at Riddlesdown High School where my geography teacher, Don Garman, wanted to take people out on a sailing course in the ‘70’s - it sparked my interest in sailing. I am so pleased to have been able to tell him recently that what he started all those years ago has resulted in me doing this. I want him to know that one small thing has resulted in me taking part in the Clipper Race”.

Don is also on the Consultative Committee to the Falmouth Harbour Commissioners. This site also provided a more up to date picture and more details on Don's career in education as a teacher, local adviser and consultant. It sounds like he has his retirement well sorted and, like Derek Spooner, has retired to Cornwall where he works as a Coastwatch volunteer and training officer at Nare Point - sounds like a perfect role for a retired geographer.

Thanks to Frances Soar for the additional information on Don Garman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...