Thursday 18 February 2021

Frances Slater

Frances Slater was mentioned in a communication from David Lambert as being a key player, but who never became GA President. One of several others such as Norman Pye.

Frances worked at the Institute of Education, and was a contemporary of other Presidents such as Norman Graves.

A New Zealander by birth, Frances Slater gained her Ph.D. in Geography from the University of Iowa and worked at the London University Institute of Education. She gave a summer school course at McGill in 1975.
She wrote a book called 'Learning through Geography' which remains influential. I have a copy on my main 'geography shelf" by my desk. There are some good ideas contained within its pages, although the book was published in 1982.

References
Slater, Frances. “Education Through Geography: Knowledge, Understanding, Values and Culture.” Geography, vol. 79, no. 2, 1994, pp. 147–163. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/40572411. Accessed 14 Feb. 2021.

HELBURN, N. “An American's Perception of British Geography.” Geography, vol. 64, no. 4, 1979, pp. 327–333. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/40569989. Accessed 14 Feb. 2021.

Lambert, David. “A Different View.” Geography, vol. 94, no. 2, 2009, pp. 119–125. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/40546302. Accessed 14 Feb. 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...