Sunday 31 January 2021

Neville Grenyer

Neville Grenyer died in 2008.

He was a significant figure in geographical education and a teacher at Haberdashers' Aske's School, which also has a connection with Michael Morrish. He was one of a group of teachers who saw the potential for changing the subject in the 1970s, eventually becoming an HMI. He was one of the authors of the Oxford Geography Project, along with John Rolfe, Rosemary Dearden, Ashley Kent himself, and Clive Rowe.


He was a colleague of Ashley Kent and met on PGCE placement at Haberdasher's Askes school.

He studied for his PGCE at King's College London before moving to St. Dunstan's College where he joined a department led by Brian Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald was working with John Everson to publish books which changed a lot of teachers' practice. Neville ended up marrying Rosemary Deardon and they had two children together. He also wrote the very popular book (I have a copy in my cupboard) 'Investigating Physical Geography' while at Winchester College.

He retired from his HMI role in 2006.

Reference

Obituary: By Peter R Smith in 'Geography' in 2009

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00167487.2009.12094255


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...