Wednesday 27 January 2021

1998: The view from the Window

Thanks to Frances Soar, former Senior Administrator for the GA for sending me this piece from the Sheffield Telegraph in 1998 when the Geography through the Window project was launched as part of the Geography Action Week. 50 000 posters were printed apparently.

Frances told me in an earlier email:

Seeing the area further develop around Solly Street was fascinating. I have a vivid memory of standing with Rex Walford at one of Solly Street's first floor windows, leaning on the window sill and looking out at the landscape below with all the features that in a single view told the history and geography of our city - 'Geography Through the Window' came not long afterwards. Sadly, that wonderful view up the Don Valley (which also provided a helpful weather forecast and bird's eye view of traffic levels as we planned our evening journeys home), was eventually blocked by all those smart new blocks of student flats.

It's a lovely piece as it also makes clear Frances' own strong connections with Sheffield: the long-term home of the GA.

Does anyone still have one of the original posters? I hope to be able to find one in the archive when I finally get a chance to visit it in person again...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...