Saturday 2 January 2021

1986: GA News appears

In the summer of 2019, I went to Solly Street, and had a look through two large lever arch files containing the print copies of early issues of GA News. This is now published as a PDF.

Issue 1 was published in 1986.

This was on thin paper, and type-written, with the title Geography Newsletter.
By Issue 3, it was published on thicker more glossy paper and was not typeset. It ran to four pages, and had the addition of illustrations.

The editor by now was Michael Morrish, GA President in his time (in 1995).

By the early 90s, the editorship passed to Bob Leake from Beauchamp College, Oadby, Leicestershire.

In 1995, the design changed again, and had a globe masthead with GA News across the top.
This was edited by Dave Rendell from Darlingon, and the design was now being done by Bryan Ledgard and Fran Royle.

In October 1998, the Editorship moved to Emma Till from Petersfield in Hampshire, and from there to several other editors in time.

I started contributing to the newsletter in 2005 and writing the Webwatch column.

Some images from past issues will be shared in due course as we get closer to the present day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...