Friday 1 January 2021

1994: Professor James Anthony (Tony) Binns

Tony is currently the Ron Lister Professor of Geography at the University of Otago in New Zealand, and still working, in fact he was planning to come over to the GA Conference in Guildford in 2020 before it was cancelled.

This entry includes information provided by Tony himself, via the Google form questionnaire I created.

Tony was born in Prestwich in 1948.

Education:
Stand Grammar School, Whitefield, Lancashire. 
In 1967 I went to Sheffield University to study Single Honours Geography. I graduated in July 1970 and then stayed at Sheffield to Study for a Diploma in Education, which I gained (with distinction) in July 1971. I joined the GA in 1969 in my second year as an undergraduate at Sheffield and made good use of the GA library which was then in the ground floor of a large house at 343, Fulwood Road.

Career - quite a varied one:
I taught at Adwick High School in Doncaster in 1971 and 1972. 
I became fasciated with Africa through my studies at Sheffield and also from teaching a Sixth Form General Studies course at Adwick High School. So in October 1972 I went to the Centre of West African Studies at Birmingham University to study for an MA and then a PhD. 
I spent the whole of 1974 in Sierra Leone researching on the relationships between rural development and diamond mining. 
I took up a position as Research Fellow at the University of Sussex in October 1975 and stayed at Sussex as Lecturer, Senior Lecturer and Reader until September 2004 (30 years)
In October 2004 I took up the position as Ron Lister Professor of Geography at the University of Otago in Dunedin, South Island, New Zealand where I still work. I have published 21 books and over 160 book chapters and journal articles. 
My writing has focused mainly on development issues in Africa, South Asia and the Pacific, and also on aspects of geographical education.

An impressive output, similar to the previous 2 Presidents who have also had long academic careers in the field of geography education.

Of his own GA Presidential year, Tony told me that at the time he was Reader in Geography in the School of African and Asian Studies at the University of Sussex, Brighton.

"My theme focused on understanding processes of development in poor countries and, in particular, appreciating indigenous knowledge and perceptions."


This is important work which still needs to be done.
He told me about his appreciation for the work of the GA.

"The GA plays a vital role as guardian of the school Geography curriculum. Among GA members there is a vast amount of knowledge and expertise on all aspects of geographical study. It is vital that the strength of Geography in our schools is maintained and indeed enhanced, to ensure the success of Geography in higher education and the contribution of the discipline to understanding so many aspects of the world we live in."

Tony co-produced the GA's response to Keith Joseph's questions following the 1985 speech to the GA special event I have blogged about previously, working with Patrick Bailey. 


Mike Morrish told me that he was good friends with Tony, who ran a number of GA Study Tours to China and one to the Gambia.

Tony also told me about his memories of his Presidential cycle:

"We achieved a membership of 11,000 during my time as President. The GA primary initiative was gaining momentum and the national curriculum had been launched. 
In 1988, as GA Hon Secretary (1985-1989), I played a key role in setting up the Teacher Education Working Group, the International Committee, the International Fund and the New Initiatives Fund. 

I also played a key role in launching the GAs overseas study tours through the International Committee, and I took part in the first study tour to China in 1988. 

In 1993, we had a very succesful tour to Pakistan and China to celebrate the centenary of the GA. 

My Annual Conference in April 1995 was the first and only conference to be held in Lancaster. 

The theme of the conference at Lancaster University was 'Developing Geography'. We had a memorable President's Evening held in the splendid Victorian edifice of Lancaster Town Hall with the Mayor of Lancaster hosting us. After the dinner I had arranged for an African band to come up."

Recently, Tony co-wrote a paper with Alan Kinder, which can be obtained from the Geo-Ed website.


In 1993, Tony attended the Centenary conference events and was featured in several photos which were sent to me by Sheila Jones and have been appearing on the blog in recent years. Several of those have appeared on previous posts.
 
I'd hoped to have an image taken with Tony at the 2020 GA Conference, as Tony was coming over to lead a session. He had to cancel of course, before the whole event went virtual.
He did, however still take part by offering a session. This can be accessed via the GA website.

Tony has travelled widely in Africa, leading trips for other geographers and involving himself in projects.
Here he is in Freetown , Sierra Leone in 2011


Image credit: Kenny Lynch

Thanks to Tony for answering my questions and contributing to this post.

You can find out more about Tony's work in supporting Geography, which mentions his GA Presidency in the introduction to the Ron Lister Lecture in October 2020. He talks about his work in Sierra Leone, and ideas of place.

 

Professor Binns has been visiting and researching in Sierra Leone, West Africa, for 46 years and has developed strong links with the remote community of Kayima in the north-east of the country. The United Nations ranks Sierra Leone as one of the world’s poorest countries, where development has been constrained by political and economic instability, a decadelong civil war, an Ebola epidemic and now COVID-19. In this lecture, Tony will draw on his experiences since 1974 to examine the changes the community has experienced and to appreciate the underlying causes of poverty in Kayima. Very few longitudinal studies have been undertaken in Africa, and this study reveals a remarkable level of community resilience and ability to adapt to changing scenarios.

References
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Binns
Image taken from Otago University newsletter.




If anyone has other memories of Tony and his time as GA President please get in touch.

2 comments:

  1. Tony taught me on my degree Geography with African & Asian Studies & also my PGCE- both at Uni of Sussex. We've stayed in touch since & I recall Lancashire Hotpot was on the menu at the 1995 Lancaster GA conference

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for adding your memories of Tony. I love the food anecdote as well.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...