Sunday 10 January 2021

1996: It's all happening at Herbertson High

Rex Walford wrote many documents and other articles and resources for the GA.

When I got my British Library reader's card, I needed to try it out and had a browse through Rex's work to see if I could find some unusual items. The title of this document piqued my interest.

I'm not sure of the original source of the document, which is a 4 page 'story' of a fictional Geography department. It was, I believe, an insert into a GA journal to publicise the Land Use Survey and encourage people to participate in it.

One of the department members finds a dusty book of the original Land Use Survey with L Dudley Stamp's name on the cover (see earlier posts) and a discussion begins over whether to get involved in the latest GA initiatives.

1996 saw the last Land Use survey which Rex was involved in coordinating.

It was accompanied by cartoons, which were fun. Some of those are shown below.
There were also fictionalised teachres representing stereotypes of teachers at the time, and they were obviously celebrating Geography Action Week.

Roger Perkins, the bright young NQT
Gillian Bennett the Head of Geography at Herbertson High
Marcia McMurdo
etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...