Tuesday 18 May 2021

Wartime - mass observation

Bill Mead, a future President of the GA wrote a letter in to the 'Geography' journal in March 1945. In it, he suggested that the disruption of the Second World War could be turned to advantage as there were doubtless lots of members of the GA who had been posted overseas, and whose experiences could perhaps be harnessed. I'm not sure whether his suggestion was taken up in an organised way,  but certainly many GA Presidents during the 1950s had seen active service, many of them in aerial surveillance and intelligence as can be seen in their entries on the blog. These fed into articles in 'Geography' through the 1940s and 1950s and undoubtedly shaped the next generation of geography teachers.

Source:

Mead, W. N. “CORRESPONDENCE.” Geography, vol. 30, no. 1, 1945, pp. 15–17. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/40562423. Accessed 15 May 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...