Tuesday 11 May 2021

Karl Donert

Another person with a long association with the GA is Karl Donert, who worked at Liverpool Hope University for some time.

Here is an interview of Karl by the legendary Joseph Kerski.

He has presented numerous times at the GA Conference, and was also involved in other GA activity over the years.

Karl also wrote books with former GA President Bill Chambers who worked with him at the same university. These were mentioned in Chris Kington's Presidential lecture.

He has been the President of EuroGeo for many years, until recently and worked on numerous projects which have seen him cross-cross Europe for over a decade before the last year's hiatus in his peripatetic lifestyle.

He has worked on a great many ERASMUS projects with me, including some where the GA or GA personnel were involved. These include the I-USE project, which I was involved with for several years, along with John Lyon and Iain Palot.

Another project which is ongoing and included Professor David Lambert, Duncan Hawley and myself amonst others was the 2nd phase of the GeoCapabilities project, which explored ideas around powerful knowledge.

Karl has done a great deal to inform my own practice and provide me with professional opportunities which have enriched me in many ways, and I am very grateful to him for support over the last decade in particular.

Image: Karl walking on the frozen Wothersee in Klagenfurt - image by Alan Parkinson, shared under CC license.

As always, memories of working with Karl welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...