Saturday 27 July 2019

Visual instruction / the visual method

Teacher Nostalgia TV Cart BH Photo VideoThis is an area which the development of the GA was linked with from the beginning.

I have previously blogged about Emily Haye's article and PhD thesis on the lantern slide, and its link with the work of the RGS and the support of teachers.
Halford Mackinder was a proponent of the visual method, and used visuals in his many lectures.
In his entry, I wrote about a speech he delivered called "On the scope and purpose of Geography".

The Diagram Company was set up to loan, and then sell, copies of lantern slides and accompanying notes.
In turn, these would become the film strips which I remember from my own schooling, which then became the VHS cassettes and the TV in the cage.

Here's one that was in my department when I first started teaching in the 1980s, from a company called 'Pictorial Charts'. There were also the 'Common Ground' filmstrips.

I'll share some more images of these film strips later in the blog, when we get to the era where they started to be used in more detail and appearing in books written by GA Presidents.


Image credit: Alan Parkinson, shared under CC license
TV image: https://www.weareteachers.com/old-school-classroom/

References
Emily Hayes
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/147447409400100203?journalCode=cgja

Some pictures of mine: https://www.flickr.com/photos/geographypages/albums/72157623495566973/with/4433343010/

MACKINDER, H. J. “THE TEACHING OF GEOGRAPHY FROM AN IMPERIAL POINT OF VIEW, AND THE USE WHICH COULD AND SHOULD BE MADE OF VISUAL INSTRUCTION.” The Geographical Teacher, vol. 6, no. 2, 1911, pp. 79–86. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/40554112.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...