Thursday 4 July 2019

Taking things further

There are a few areas where I could take the work I'm doing here a little further, in addition to the GA's own collections of books and other materials, and the Fleure Library and Primary collection at Solly Street.
As time permits over the next few years, that's what I plan to do.
1.
The National Archives.



There are the collections in the main building to begin with.
The website also has a range of links through to documents on GA Presidents of the past which are stored in a number of locations, depending on the person.

e.g. L. Dudley Stamp
University of Sussex has a range of his papers and also an unpublished autobiography, which would no doubt have the definitive information on his time as President, and what he did during his time working with and for the Association
I guess that many other University Geography departments would also have archives which may be accessible in some way.

2.
British Library

I've been meaning to get my British Library Readers' Pass for some time now. I filled in the details a while back, but haven't been down to formalise it and pick up my actual Pass.
It's a place which I have visited quite a few times for meetings over the years, and it's also very straightforward for me to get to from where I live in Norfolk.

Image: Alan Parkinson, shared under CC license

3.
Royal Geographical Society - Foyle Reading Room

The third and obvious place to look is the Royal Geographical Society's collections.
The Foyle Reading Room has an excellent collection of materials, and with so many of the past Presidents having links to the RGS I am sure there are plenty of relevant documents and books in their catalogue.
The RGS has over 2 million items in their collection.

Online catalogue


What other possible sources of documents might be helpful?

Update
Went down to London on the first day of the summer break, for a concert, so took the opportunity to get my Reader's Pass. I'd already pre-filled in the online part, so just had to validate that in person.
It only took about 15 minutes, and I am now the proud owner of a British Library card. This allowed me to request a few items, so I did that, and adjourned to the Betjeman Arms for a drink while I was waiting for them to be collected from the shelves. There are over 150 million items in the library apparently, but just over an hour later I was sat in the Humanities 1 reading room with two documents which I was probably the first person to see for some time... More on those to come later in the blog, as they have helped flesh out several posts. I will be back...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...