Wednesday 10 July 2019

Thought for the Day

"The Geographer thinks in shapes. 
Just as the musican can silently read his score and hear the music, so can the geographer read his map and see the picture."
Dr. Thring, Uppingham School

This echoes an idea about the curriculum as music (from Margaret Roberts) which is brought to life when it is performed (Benjamin Britten). This has been part of my presentations for many years, and it is good to see a link through to some other related thoughts. One for the Presidential Lecture I think.

Dr. Edward Thring, founder of the Headmasters' Conference seems to have been an interesting person worth following up on as well.
I like his motto as well: "Honour the work and the work will honour you"


Reference

MACKINDER, H. J. “THE TEACHING OF GEOGRAPHY FROM AN IMPERIAL POINT OF VIEW, AND THE USE WHICH COULD AND SHOULD BE MADE OF VISUAL INSTRUCTION.” The Geographical Teacher, vol. 6, no. 2, 1911, pp. 79–86. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/40554112.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...