Wednesday 21 October 2020

SLN: Gold award winning website

"It's a bit like a shanty town - it grows and changes with the people who do things."
Chris Durbin

SLN is (or was) the Staffordshire Learning Network.

It won the prestigious Gold Award from the GA. I have four Silver Awards but have never made it to Gold - yet.

It was founded by county advisors Chris Durbin and Kate Russell, along with developer Andy Holt, and included a bulletin board and a range of resource sharing areas and projects. It grew quickly and in the early part of the 2000s became the place to be with some well known contributors, some of whom became (and remain) friends, and others of whom left teaching or disappeared over the years.

We had three SLN field weekends when some of us got together. The first was to Hartington Hall, the second was to Norfolk - staying at Burnham Deepdale and heading along the coast to a number of locations, and finally to Moira in Staffordshire. These involved field trips and resource swaps and some drinks and chat. I made some great friends via SLN, and it helped me develop as teacher through the second half of the 'noughties' when I also started teaching the Pilot GCSE Geography and then joined the GA.

A TES piece is here.

All memories of SLN (the Twitter of its day) welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...