Saturday 3 October 2020

1975 - 'Teaching Geography' - updated post

Updated October 2020

April 1975 saw the arrival of 'Teaching Geography'. This was edited by Patrick Bailey, who set out the aims of the journal in the first Editorial of many.




The first article to be published was a field research exercise on a supermarket in Llandovery, written by another future President, Eleanor Rawling.
Also Roslas in the Rain from Margaret Booth.


I'm pleased to have contributed a few items to Teaching Geography myself over the years.
There were originally intended to be five issues a year, but this settled into 4 issues to begin with from August 1976 onwards.The subscription was £5.

The journal is now published three times a year.

References
Bailey, Patrick. “EDITORIAL: New Geography—New Schools.” Teaching Geography, vol. 1, no. 1, 1975, pp. 4–5. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/23749910.

RAWLING, ELEANOR. “Supermarket for Llandovery: —an Exercise in Field Research.” Teaching Geography, vol. 1, no. 1, 1975, pp. 7–10. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/23749911.

Updated October 2020
I've been receiving some very helpful details in emails from Sheila Jones, Former President.
She has been telling me some of her memories, and a recent email described the origins of 'Teaching Geography'.

Re: 'Teaching Geography' that was most exciting! 
For some time there was only the very academic forerunner 'Geography', and during the Annual Conference a group of us would have coffee breaks in the cafeteria at LSE (that was the only location in Conference for food and drink, although a few people would go to a coffee bar in the street by the college instead).
The names of all escape me but I am pretty sure that there were Richard Daugherty, Rex Walford, Pat Cleverley, John Everson and Brian Fitzgerald, and John Bale. He it was that led the case for a teachers' magazine at that year's AGM - which was one of the liveliest I have ever attended. 
There was no real opposition, only the desire to get the members' agreement that this was necessary. It has been suggested that Norman Pye (a lovely man) was against it, which is unfair because he was an academic in charge of an academic magazine which was inappropriate for school teaching apart from 6th forms. I think that the attendance at AGM in that year broke all records . The Deputy Conference officer at the time, could well have been Denys Brunsden, he did not have to search highways and byways to produce a quorum.

I've been promised more detail from Richard Daugherty as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...