Saturday 24 October 2020

1985: A world turned upside down

In 1985, the Commonwealth Secretary-General Sir Shridath Ramphal delivered this joint GA/RGS/IBG lecture at the Royal Geographical Society on the 10th April 1985. This was Pat Cleverley's conference and she sent me a copy of the conference programme as well, which has appeared on another post on the blog.

He was also known as Sonny Ramphal.


This event was one of the first introductions for many to the Peters projection rather than Mercator, and he called on geographers to help people see the world in the round. I remember starting to see a Peters map around this time, and bought one when I first started teaching. Radical geography!

This was one of the highlights of that year's conference for many according to reports, and he was a high profile guest of the conference that year.

Reference

Ramphal, Shridath S. “A World Turned Upside Down.” Geography, vol. 70, no. 3, 1985, pp. 193–205. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/40570953. Accessed 26 Sept. 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...