Sunday 3 May 2020

1936: Founding of the GA Cambridge Branch

While doing some searching on Facebook for archive images of GA activity over the years, and trying to track down images of individuals, I came across this clipping from the newspaper, posted by Mike Petty, of the 50th anniversary celebrations of the Cambridge Branch of the GA in 1986.


There is a lovely origin story for the branch, with Edith Butcher pictured in the middle of the photo returning from a GA conference held in Sheffield and teaming up with one the original founders B. B. Dickinson, who had retired to Cambridge after finishing teaching at Rugby School.

Good to see Rex Walford here as well as Professor Clifford Darby (who deserves his own entry later, despite not having been GA President). They also had an address from Frank Debenham to kick start the branch.

Does any other GA Branch have similarly auspicious beginnings I wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...