Saturday, 23 September 2023

PGCE 1986-7

As I've blogged about previously on this blog, I completed my PGCE between 1986 and 1987 at the University of Hull.

My tutor was the rather lovely W V Tidswell. He has his entry on the blog here.

I did teaching practice at Withernsea Primary School, Andrew Marvell School and my main stint was at Bransholme School.

We had our theory (Main Method) sessions in a lecture theatre but mostly in a bungalow off the Cottingham Road. My picture of it is below:


Image: Alan Parkinson - shared under CC license

I've started a series of posts over on LivingGeography which will share the contents of my PGCE Main Method folder, which I still have. They will be tagged #pgce1986

The first session with Vincent used the research of Molly Long, GA President in 1970.

There are also mentions of the work of quite a few other Presidents as well - of which more to come in future posts.

As you can see, the quality of the photocopying back then was a little shocking and the page also had Vincent's impenetrable handwriting at the top :)

The research involved asking students their opinions on 25 tasks they might be asked to do in a geography lesson. I think we were supposed to avoid the ones they didn't like and do more of the ones they did like.

To read more, go to the research itself.

Reference:

LONG, MOLLY. “The Interests of Children in School Geography.” Geography, vol. 56, no. 3, 1971, pp. 177–190. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/40567553.

2 comments:

  1. I was a PGCE student at Hull with Vincent in 1982-3, my main placement was at Lincoln Christ Hospital School.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great - thanks for adding a comment on the blog. You were just a few years ahead of me. Did you have your sessions in the same bungalow. We used the same school from memory, although my placement was at a school in Hull itself.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

Submit your GA Conference 2027 proposals now

If you have some head space over the summer, now is the time to submit your proposal to speak at the GA Conference 2027.  This will take pla...