Saturday 23 September 2023

PGCE 1986-7

As I've blogged about previously on this blog, I completed my PGCE between 1986 and 1987 at the University of Hull.

My tutor was the rather lovely W V Tidswell. He has his entry on the blog here.

I did teaching practice at Withernsea Primary School, Andrew Marvell School and my main stint was at Bransholme School.

We had our theory (Main Method) sessions in a lecture theatre but mostly in a bungalow off the Cottingham Road. My picture of it is below:


Image: Alan Parkinson - shared under CC license

I've started a series of posts over on LivingGeography which will share the contents of my PGCE Main Method folder, which I still have. They will be tagged #pgce1986

The first session with Vincent used the research of Molly Long, GA President in 1970.

There are also mentions of the work of quite a few other Presidents as well - of which more to come in future posts.

As you can see, the quality of the photocopying back then was a little shocking and the page also had Vincent's impenetrable handwriting at the top :)

The research involved asking students their opinions on 25 tasks they might be asked to do in a geography lesson. I think we were supposed to avoid the ones they didn't like and do more of the ones they did like.

To read more, go to the research itself.

Reference:

LONG, MOLLY. “The Interests of Children in School Geography.” Geography, vol. 56, no. 3, 1971, pp. 177–190. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/40567553.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...