Saturday 9 September 2023

800 posts and over 50 000 views

I started this blog in April 2019. It was then that I was able to tell people something that I heard in November 2018: that I was going to be the President for the Geographical Association for 2021-22.

As part of any legacy I might leave after my year in office, I decided to write a biography of every GA President to date, and also to add future Presidents for as long as possible.



Inevitably it was also a biography of the GA as well. I scan-read every single issue of the GA's journals: particularly 'The Geographical Teacher' and 'Geography', going all the way back to 1901.

This was to look for mentions of what Presidents had done before, during and after holding the office. Presidential addresses were also printed for some decades. Many have been lost to history.

At the same time, I also got involved in the Geographer's Gaze project. This involved opening up some of the slides that are in the GA's collection.

I also visited several places connected with the GA.

I was unable to access the GA's archives because of COVID, and have still only managed about eight hours or so in the stacks down in the warehouse at Solly Street.

Please have a look through your photos and see whether you have any from old GA Conferences you attended back in the day... I'll keep the blog going and hopefully get back up to Solly Street some time to continue to fill in the gaps.

Thanks for reading.

Visits have increased dramatically in recent weeks, particularly from Singapore it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...