Thursday 15 July 2021

Sheila Jones Funeral - 15th July

Today is the funeral of Sheila Jones, who was the GA's oldest living former President until her passing in June. It will take place in her home city of Bristol. She was a great innovator and a trail blazer for other more recent female Presidents.

Lord George Carey (former Archbishop of Canterbury ) will conduct the service.

John and Jane Westaway (John is a former GA President) will represent the GA at the event.

Sheila requested “no flowers” please, but instead charity donations to St Peter’s Hospice Charlton Road, Brentry, BRISTOL BS10 6NL

Here is Sheila enjoying one of her other passions (apart from geography): cricket. She is at Lords and is the lady holding the umberella. Pat Cleverly (another former GA President) is on the far right of the photo.

Thanks to Jeremy Krause for the images and for making the introductions to Sheila a year or two ago as part of this blog project, which gave me the chance to enjoy a number of conversations with Sheila where she shared her memories of her time with the GA.

I shall raise a glass to Sheila tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...