Friday 23 July 2021

Global Learning Programme

The Global Learning Programme was a delayed iteration of an earlier project which was due to take place in 2011, but the funding was delayed as a result of government intervention ahead of a General Election. One unfortunate outcome of that was the loss of my job at the GA, which I had worked towards for many years, and had completed just three years before the trustees 

The Global Learning Programme (GLP) ran from 2013 to 2018 and was funded by the UK government. It achieved a great deal of success.

The GLP in England (GLP-E) was managed by a consortium of partners: 

Pearson (lead), 

Geographical Association, 

UCL Institute of Education, 

Oxfam UK, 

Royal Geographical Society (with IBG), 

SSAT and 

Think Global.

I applied for one of the senior positions on the project, and had an interview lined up when I received an offer of a teaching position, which I am still in, and which has outlasted the Global Learning Programme.

Aims of the Programme
  • To help young people understand their role in a globally-interdependent world and explore strategies by which they can make it more just and sustainable.
  • To familiarise them with concepts of interdependence, development, globalisation and sustainability.
  • To move them from a charity mentality to a social justice mentality.
  • To stimulate critical thinking about global issues both at a whole school and at student level.
  • To promote greater awareness of poverty and sustainability.
  • To enable schools to explore alternative models of development and sustainability in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...