Friday 30 July 2021

Royal Patronage 1993

While in the GA archives at Solly Street at the start of the week, I came across some images of HRH Princess Anne meeting GA staff.

This was on the occasion of the 1993 Centenary Conference which was held in Sheffield. Simon Catling was President in that year.



In the second photo is former President Mike Morrish.
May also be Andrew Goudie in the picture as well.

Frances Soar filled in the details.

"These are press photos of HRH The Princess Royal, Frances Soar and Julia Legg at the GA Centenary Annual Conference, Sheffield 1993.  When the GA approached the Princess to be Patron of the GA, she (or her representative) wrote that because she only takes on this very significant role when she can devote sufficient time to do the job properly, she would have to decline. However, she offered to become Patron just for the Centenary year - and she was great in the role.  

I remember sending her lots of briefing notes about the GA, its history and its current activities.  She used the lot as part of her speech at the opening ceremony - but without consulting notes as she spoke! - and in chatting with us (as in the photo) knew exactly what she was talking about and to whom she was talking.  I was hugely impressed.  She is a real professional.  

There was a biography of HRH published shortly afterwards, which I bought because the GA got a mention in the list of patronages. 


Any other memories of the Royal visit welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...