Monday 5 April 2021

Cape Farewell

Cape Farewell was a project that grew out of the GeoVisions project. Fred Martin was on the GeoVisions sub group and wrote the pack.

It was a resource pack which was an important part of the work that we used for the OCR Pilot GCSE Geography as it had a focus on extreme environments. It had a spiral bound pack and a CD with a series of resources and images. It had heavy use for three years that we taught the Pilot GCSE. Here's a trailer video for a later phase of the project.

Cape Farewell - An introduction from Cape Farewell on Vimeo.

Cape Farewell changes the way we think about climate change. Climate change is a reality. Caused by us all, it is a cultural, social and economic problem and must move beyond scientific debate. Cape Farewell is committed to the notion that artists can engage the public in this issue, through creative insight and vision.

Artists and authors were taken to the Arctic, and there was also a link with Svalbard, which became a focus for my teaching.

The project itself explores the cultural response to climate change.


References

Mitchell, Alistair. Teaching Geography, vol. 30, no. 1, 2005, pp. 59–59. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/23756577. Accessed 29 Mar. 2021.

Thanks to Fred Martin for his memories of the creation of this pack and the images which brought back a lot of memories for me. I left these packs behind when I left teaching - wished I'd kept a copy now, as there don't seem to be many around...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...