Sunday 12 April 2020

Classroom Geographer magazine

About three years ago, I got in touch with Neil Sealey.
He edited a journal which was launched in the 1970s. It predated the GA's 'Teaching Geography' journal, and was edited and printed and published from Neil's own home in Luton.

Neil retired to the Caribbean, but kindly told me a great deal about the journal, and I started to write an article on the journal for the GA's journals.

This journal was the first to really offer a chance for teachers to read what other teachers were doing in their classrooms, as there were few opportunities to network in the 1970s and 1980s.

This became the purpose of 'Teaching Geography' when it appeared (more on that in a future blog post)

There was much talk of the 'New' Geography, and of traditional topics and approaches being replaced by the quantitative ideas of Central Place Theory, statistical models and early simulation games. It was published through the 1970s and 1980s, starting out at 20p per issue (including postage), with around 5 issues a year. It's been a good few hours now spent reading through the journals in date order, and finding interesting perspectives on Geography (so far from quite a male dominated perspective, and with more contributions from Geography masters, or university lecturers than classroom teachers...)

Neil very kindly sent me a box of issues, an almost complete set. The full set can also be accessed at the British Library (I can't wait for it to reopen so that I can go back to using my Reader's Card)

I added some copies to the exhibition which I helped curate for the GA's 125th Anniversary Conference in Sheffield.

Some early contributions from former Presidents are going to be showcased on this blog - some early pieces from David Lambert and Steve Rawlinson amongs others.
Image shows the box of Classroom Geographer journals kindly donated to me (and onwards to GA / RGS) by Neil Sealey.

References
https://www.academia.edu/25591650/Geography_education_grey_literature_and_the_geographical_canon

Get in touch if you remember the journal. There are some real gems waiting to be shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

From the archive - Fleure to Mill 2 - Christmas 1933

Another letter from H J Fleure to Hugh Robert Mill. I love these old letters in the GA Archives. I plan to go up to Solly Street this comin...