Monday 24 February 2020

Thought for the Day

"Triviality", said the late Professor Tawney, "is more deadly than wickedness" and, at the time, he was attacking the thin outlines of the simplified textbook. 
This emphasizes the dilemma constantly facing the teacher. 
How can the historian span the centuries yet satisfy the scholars' demand for depth? How can the geographer "cover the world" yet not oversimplify to the point of dull triviality or even untruth".
E. C Marchant (1964)


Source: MARCHANT, E. C. “Geography in Education in England and Wales.” Geography, vol. 49, no. 3, 1964, pp. 173–191. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/40566368

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...