Friday 28 February 2020

Poland Study Tour


I saw this book when meeting Chris Kington in early 2020.

He described the Study Tour that he went on to Poland in 1990, and described an evening when those involved were left waiting to be picked up and there was a power cut which meant their plans were temporarily halted.

Patrick Bailey, who was involved in leading the trip, apparently picked up some chalk and drew a map on a blackboard, and someone (it may have been Chris) took a picture of the result. It was drawn from memory and showed the landscape they had passed through that day to put it into context. The first edition had this cover, but later editions apparently had a different cover to reduce costs of printing.

Quite a lost art, the coloured chalks on blackboard. I remember having a colleague: Ian Stockwell, my Head of Department, who was rather good at this when I first started teaching in the late 80s. Lots of block diagrams and the words PLEASE LEAVE so that all the groups could copy it into their exercise books.

I got hold of a copy via Amazon, and although dated, it's a good reminder of how we used to do things in regional and local studies. It was published in November 1990.

This was my memory of the circumstances.

References
A piece on camera and blackboard written by Patrick Bailey in 1960...
Bailey, P. J. M. “Blackboard and Camera: Some Combined Uses in the Teaching of Geography.” Geography, vol. 46, no. 3, 1961, pp. 232–237. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/40565264

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...