Sunday 23 February 2020

Charney Manor Conference

One of the events that is linked with numerous GA Presidents is the annual weekend at Charney where mostly Primary Geography educators (teachers and HE colleagues) gather at Charney Manor in Oxfordshire to discuss all things geography.
As I post this, the 23rd Charney Conference is in its final day.
I've been following the talks on the hashtag.


I was fortunate to be able to attend the 20th Charney Conference in 2017, and speak on the work we had done with Mission:Explore over the years to encourage some ludic pedagogies and involve ourselves with a range of stakeholders.

The Charney weekend events were first started by Rex Walford I believe in 1970 as informal conversations between school and university geographers, following on from previous courses at the venue, and numerous books derived from sets of papers presented at the conference were released over the years, including 1973 and 1982, edited by Rex Walford. I've got a few of those which I will refer to when this blog reaches the 1980s. More recently they have been organised by Simon Catling for many years, with help more recently from Steve Rawlinson and Jeremy Krause.

A piece of mine was included in the special book which was published for the 20th Anniversary Conference. This can be purchased from the GA Shop.

I am intending to be present at the 25th Charney Conference and speak on my Presidential theme, or perhaps the secondary talk which I am going to offer to GA Branches during the year which I am putting together at the moment based around my planned theme.

Much more to come on Charney when I reach the entries for those Presidents who have been involved. At this year's event, there are at least 6 GA Presidents, past, present or future in attendance that I've noticed on the pictures, and others who are yet to put themselves forward I'm sure...

Images: Alan Parkinson

UPDATE: I attended the 25th Anniversary conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...