Tuesday 8 October 2019

Powerful Knowledge

Powerful knowledge is a persuasive argument for the need for professional subject knowledge, and the role of school in teaching that knowledge, using skilled pedagogy. It has found favour in recent years, with the work of Michael Young, who I have seen speak several times, particularly in a debate with Margaret Roberts. It has also informed the work of the GeoCapabilities project I was involved in.

An early attempt, dating from 1918, was made by E. J. Orford.

He described the need to know certain facts at certain stages in a child's education. It's worth reading to see how we've come on so much in 100 years... or not.

Well worth a read...



References
Orford, E. J. “GEOGRAPHY : WHAT FACTS SHALL WE TEACH ?” The Geographical Teacher, vol. 9, no. 5, 1918, pp. 212–215. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/40554678.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

From the archive - Fleure to Mill 2 - Christmas 1933

Another letter from H J Fleure to Hugh Robert Mill. I love these old letters in the GA Archives. I plan to go up to Solly Street this comin...