Thursday 17 October 2019

1943: Making stuff

A long running debate has been had about the nature of the work we should be asking students to complete in Geography, and whether we are just occupying students with 'busy work', and whether they would learn better sat in rows of desks, with nothing on the walls, doing repeated testing and being introduced to new material in a way which is formalised from lesson to lesson.
There's also space for play and creativity, and I tend to lean towards that more often. Much of this article would be familiar to many teachers today.

I'm not sure how many of our modern-day pupils possess fret saws however.



Reference

Birch, T. W. “CONSTRUCTIVE AND CREATIVE WORK IN GEOGRAPHY.” Geography, vol. 28, no. 1, 1943, pp. 19–25. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/40562265.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

From the archive - Fleure to Mill 2 - Christmas 1933

Another letter from H J Fleure to Hugh Robert Mill. I love these old letters in the GA Archives. I plan to go up to Solly Street this comin...