Saturday 12 December 2020

Storm in the Solent

The 1992 conference saw Eleanor Rawling's GA Conference Dinner. "A Sense of Place on the Solent."

As seen in the programme, this was to be held aboard a ship operated by Blue Funnel Line Cruises. The ticket price of £22.50 got you three hours of sailing, plus a menu which included:

  • Breast of Chicken in Cream and White Wine sauce
  • Beef Bourgingnon 
  • Chef's Sweet of the Day

Also included light entertainment and a bar, and ran from 8.30 - 11.30. It was preceded by a Civic Reception in the Hall of Aviation in Southampton.

Eleanor told me:

I held my Presidential reception on board a boat sailing on the Solent. It was supposed to take people on a cruise around the Isle of Wight and back. However, on the night, there was a gale blowing in the Solent and it was too dangerous to go out round the Isle of Wight, so instead we just went up and down the inner Solent waters.

Image of Solent Sky (new name for Hall of Aviation)
Shared on Flickr under CC license by Alan Wilson - HawkeyeUK

From GA News.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

From the archive - Fleure to Mill 2 - Christmas 1933

Another letter from H J Fleure to Hugh Robert Mill. I love these old letters in the GA Archives. I plan to go up to Solly Street this comin...