Tuesday 22 December 2020

1993 - GA Centenary image

1993 saw the centenary of the Geographical Association. I will reach that point early in the New Year on this blog.

This image above was taken in the MacKinder room of Balliol College, Oxford in 1993. It was taken from Bill Mead's Commonplace Geography book, which alerted me to its existence, and also the fact that it featured Michael Storm, who was otherwise proving elusive to track down.
Sheila Jones kindly sent me a larger version of the photograph that she had in her personal collection and that is shown below:

Front row seated from left to right

Sheila Jones,  Robert Steel, Simon Catling, Pat Cleverley,  Andrew Goudie, Patrick Bailey, Denys Brunsden, Eleanor Rawling, Rex Walford

Back row standing from left to right

Bill Mead, W V Balchin, Vic Dennison, John Allan Patmore, Michael Storm

Top image taken from Bill Mead's 'Towards a Commonplace Geography', which was published in 2015. This is a book which I bought earlier in the month at a bargain price to help with Bill Mead's biography entry and which has also proved to be excellent for various other reasons.

Thanks to Simon Catling, Chris Kington and Sheila Jones for confirming the identity of some of the people in this photo for me. As always, any memories of this event, or these Presidents welcome. Thanks to those with whom I've exchanged e-mails with this week already.

I have a programme, attendance list and also a menu from the meal that was served. They will appear when the blog reaches 1993.


All other memories of the GA Centenary Celebration welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

From the archive - Fleure to Mill 2 - Christmas 1933

Another letter from H J Fleure to Hugh Robert Mill. I love these old letters in the GA Archives. I plan to go up to Solly Street this comin...