Sunday 14 June 2020

Thought for the Day

"I feel that geography teachers have a great social responsibility, and that geography teaching should have a moral - even a spiritual motivation. I don't mean that we should preach sermons... I hope that I can help young people derive some pleasure and satisfaction and interest from the diversity of humanity and the Creation as a whole, and to develop a feeling of the inter-dependence of the human species"
Ernest W (Bill) Young

Author of the classic 'A Course in World Geography' with J. H. Lowry (which I used when at school)

From an interview with David R Wright
Young, E. W., and David R. Wright. “Authors and Their Books: ‘A Walking-Stick, Not a Crutch.’” Teaching Geography, vol. 2, no. 4, 1977, pp. 173–175. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/23750488. Accessed 9 June 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...