Monday 8 June 2020

Curious about Nature

I have previously blogged about the Field Studies Council's 75th Anniversary celebrations which were attended by quite a few former GA Presidents, and the Past and present GA President. They presented and were mentioned in other presentations, particularly one by Professor Tim Burt, my former tutor when I was an undergraduate at Huddersfield Polytechnic back in the day.

This event was also a launch event of a kind for a new book called 'Curious about Nature', which was written by Tim along with Des Thompson. This explores the development of field studies and the contributions of individuals. It is available to purchase from all good book shops, and a sample can be viewed on Google Books - see the link at the bottom of this post.

A few GA Presidents of note are mentioned in the book, when they had a link with the development of fieldwork.

There is a mention for Geoffrey Hutchings, the master of the fieldsketch.
This is followed by a paragraph on the influence of Sidney Wooldridge and Dudley Stamp.

There is also a picture of J A Steers, which I was after for ages until Andrew Goudie found me one - I have added this, along with other information to an update on the post for J A Steers elsewhere on this blog. Use the SEARCH function to find any previous Presidents.

A review from the present GA President Gill Miller, who has been associated with FSC for many years:

'This book amply delivers its strapline 'passion for fieldwork'. With its informal yet informed writing, this eclectic collection of practitioners and research findings provides something for everyone. There is no denying its central message, that field studies inspire and ignite curiosity and remain central to our guardianship of the planet.' 
Gill Miller, President of The Geographical Association, 2019-20

Source:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=2onPDwAAQBAJ&lpg=PA80&dq=cuchlaine%20king%20nottingham&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q=cuchlaine%20king%20nottingham&f=false

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...