Monday 28 February 2022

GA Presidency Month 6: February 2022

This is the 700th post on the blog, which tells the story of the 106 GA Presidents to date, and also the wider story of my own Presidency and other moments from the GA's history (and geography).

A very busy month once again, as they all are for GA Presidents in the run up to the GA Conference in April.

Started fairly quickly on the 1st of February with a GA Cambridge Branch lecture on supply chains. This is a good session and one with a lot of content which I'm happy to offer to other GA Branches or audiences. There's always plenty of relevant news stories in the media each week related to supply chains, including a timely article in the New York Times as well as a Guardian feature on a day in the life of a lorry driver. Check out the activity at your local GA Branch.

The 2nd of February was the Governance Working Group - this used to be called the President Group, and meets ahead of Governing Body to set the agenda and ensure that all the papers that are needed for that important business are in place.

Sadly, that was also the day I tested postive for COVID19, and the next week was a bit of a write off although I kept up to date with my inbox as much as possible when I felt up to it. Best wishes to everyone who has had COVID, and please make sure you get your vaccines and booster when offered to give the best protection if (and probably when) you test positive. 

I am needle-phobic but felt no hesitation in going and getting jabbed at the earliest opportunity.

I spent some time during this period pottering on what I could do, lacking in energy a little and not able to do much for quite a few days:

- Judging five resources for stage 1 of the GA's Publishers Awards, ahead of a meeting of those who were sharing their thoughts to take them forward to the next phase.

- Supporting the Worldwise Board in planning for iGEO 2022

- Reading through Eleanor Rawling's work on the National Curriculum Framework (following on from GTE)

- Responding to a range of queries from GA members and others with regards to work / projects / conference etc.

- Worked on thinking through the early phases of a range of exciting projects, some of which will see the light of day and support teachers in particular parts of the country

- Reviewing book proposals

- Working on a GIS book

- Working on ERASMUS projects: GI Pedagogy and D3 - both of which are coming to a close this year.

The GA President serves as a Trustee for the three years of their Presidential journey, and joins the GA's Governing Body.

They join a group of people who serve a particular period of time - usually between three and six years.

There are named trustees who are responsible for additional aspects of the GA's work, particularly finances. I also filled in an audit sheet. We often reflect on the nature of our skills and consider how to broaden the diversity of this group in the widest sense. There are also co-opted members, who are brought in because of their particular skillset and backgrounds. 

Thanks to all those who have served, currently served, or will serve on Governing Body.

Wednesday 9th was a busy day.

I started with a session for the East London Geography Hub, presenting along with Brendan Conway.

This was on my Presidential theme of Everyday Geographies.



This was followed by me hosting GeogChat - a regular weekly twitter chat that takes place on Wednesday. The theme was about the Pandemic and its influence on the curriculum. I shared ideas and had some excellent contributions from others.

I blogged about the session here.

I also put together a session for teachers in Liverpool. They have the support of the Archdiocese of Liverpool School Improvement Trust (ALPSIT)

Thanks to the legendary Hywel Roberts for getting me involved in this event and other work with the trust which will continue up to the summer.

There were over 100 people signed in when I joined on the Tuesday to do an hour long canter through Primary curriculum making ideas, with some contributions from the thinking of Paula Owens, Simon Catling and several others.

I'm going to continue to work with ALPSIT until the end of the academic year by providing some ideas for their ASSEMBLE platform.

I popped to school to pick up some marking and other bits and pieces.

The final weekend of the half term was the 25th Charney Manor Primary Conference.

I was keeping an eye on the weather as there were two named storms in the forecast, the second of which would ultimately disrupt my arrival at the conference which was a disappointment. In the end, however, the storm was to have the last word as the Conference venue lost its power, so the whole event had to be cancelled until next year.


I returned to school for the final week of the month. A busy week it was too, with my continuing recovery from COVID:

- Further edits on articles for GA journals

- Reports, parents' evening and a Saturday Open morning to attend at school

- Some writing of examination materials for a company 

- Some consultancy with AVANTIS, who create Virtual Worlds.

- Preparation for a 2nd session with teachers from a London based MAT - looking at concepts and enquiry questions in the curriculum

This now brings me amazingly to the half way point of my Presidency. It's going very quickly as everyone told me it would.

Twitter stats



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...