Sunday 6 June 2021

1997: Solly Street

SOLLY STREET, SHEFFIELD: 1997 - present

In 1997, the GA moved to 160 Solly Street, a building with the office and warehouse space needed for the GA’s publishing activities. Initially the building was rented from a private landlord. In 2010 the GA purchased the property, confirming the GA’s commitment to Sheffield, and there was an event to mark this official opening.

At one stage there were plans to update the frontage of the building which were drawn up and I remember seeing. I wonder where they ended up...

The building doesn't have quite the same gravitas as some of other associations' HQ, but it serves its purpose well, and is fairly centrally located within the UK (as far as anywhere can be) and I always enjoy turning up there for the day.

This image was from the opening, taken by Bryan Ledgard and features Rex Walford talking to David Blunkett.


Image: Bryan Ledgard / Geographical Association

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...