Saturday 12 June 2021

The Action Plan for Geography

For several Presidents, their period of office coincided with the Action Plan for Geography.

This ran from 2006-11

Several of the GA Presidents mentioned this in their Presidential lecture.

Keith Grimwade told me:  "The big curriculum initiative during my Presidency was the Action Plan for Geography.

Lord Adonis was a great supporter of geographical education but could not understand why we had the RGS/IBG and the GA - politicians prefer dealing with just one organisation. Negotiating and securing the GA’s distinctive role was, I think, one of my biggest achievements, much of which went on behind closed doors and could not be broadcast. 
I keep a letter from Lord Adonis acknowledging my work, and recognising the GA’s contribution."


References

It is well worth downloading the Action Plan for Geography Final Report to see what the GA and RGS-IBG did when working together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...