Thursday 12 August 2021

Fred Martin

Along with the Presidents, this blog has featured some of the many volunteers and activists who have supported the Association over the years.

Fred Martin was the PGCE tutor at Bath Spa University for many years, and has been involved with the GA for decades in various roles, with a long stint serving on the Education Group of the GA. 

He is a prolific author who has written many books, some of which were first published over twenty years ago, and remain available. They include the book here, published by the GA.

Fred was on the sub-group that was involved with the GeoVisions project, which led to many other GA projects over the years, and has appeared on this blog previously, along with further information about Di Swift.

This led to him writing the Cape Farewell resource, which I used when teaching the OCR Pilot GCSE Geography, and which has also been featured in a previous blogpost.

Fred served on the Secondary Phase Committee for many years, including the period when I was also on the committee.

I presented sessions with Fred several times at GA Conference including 2005 - the first time I presented at the GA conference in a session on Gifted and Talented Geographers. I was a bit nervous.

We also worked on a session exploring how to 'Transform Tired Topics' along with Tom Biebrach. It originally had a diffferent title...

In 2007, we also jointly presented on Future Fieldwork: a double workshop on GIS for Beginners which included some cutting edge GIS work (for the time) and also included future Chief Executive Alan Kinder.


Fred worked with a number of others, including Gary Dawson, who also served on the Secondary Committee to write 3 books of starters for Badger Publishing. You may remember them. I have them on the bookshelf in my classroom. 

Fred is now on the editorial board of 'Teaching Geography' and recently set me a challenge of writing an article about the teaching of GIS and traditional map skills.

Fred was also kind enough to provide a message to delegates at the first TeachmeetGeographyIcons when I did a keynote session.

Even in the Summer 2021 issue, Fred has an article, where he explores the progress made in pedagogy over the years through 'Teaching Geography' articles.

Image: Bryan Ledgard / Geographical Association

References

Martin, Fred, and Diane Swift. “What Can CD-ROMs Do for Us?” Teaching Geography, vol. 21, no. 1, 1996, pp. 20–23. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/23753746. Accessed 26 June 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...