Wednesday 20 November 2019

How shall we teach Geography?

The Spring Conference in 1946 included another debate about pedagogy and curriculum design in school geography, something which has been talked about for as long as I can remember during my career, and even back then was a hot topic.

The sequencing of what to teach and when was important. Also considered the knowledge that students needed to be introduced to.



For a more up to date view on Curriculum, check out Paula Owens and Alan Kinder's article in the Autumn 2019 issue of 'Teaching Geography', which connects this with the new OFSTED framework in a creative way. Free to download by journal subscribers.

References

E. M. C., et al. “HOW SHALL WE TEACH GEOGRAPHY ? Report of Discussion at the Caernarvon Spring Conference.” Geography, vol. 31, no. 3, 1946, pp. 116–119. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/40563884

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

From the archive - Fleure to Mill 2 - Christmas 1933

Another letter from H J Fleure to Hugh Robert Mill. I love these old letters in the GA Archives. I plan to go up to Solly Street this comin...