Sunday 29 September 2019

1938: Spring Conference in Durham

Around this time, there were changes to the GA conference in terms of timing and also format. This was more peripatetic than the current circus between Manchester, Guildford and Sheffield (the city I hoped my own Presidential year would be held in, but it was not to be)

The 1938 conference was held in Durham.
The President, Thomas Henry Holland, gave a lecture on Continental Drift, which must have been cutting edge stuff at the time.

There were also guests from various countries, including Norway and France.
A lot of the conference was on the theme of the Durham region, and the fieldtrip to the industrial highlights of the region sounded good.

"It is doubtful whether the Association has ever had a more important gathering, or one so closely linked with the main sdtreams of local life".

Reference
“THE SPRING CONFERENCE, 1938.” Geography, vol. 23, no. 2, 1938, pp. 126–127. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/40561786

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...