Thursday 22 August 2024

IGU - 1964 - London

While exploring something else, I was reminded of the IGU meeting in London in 1964. I've blogged about this before, as I got a copy of the stamp set which was released at the time as a First Day Cover. (PDF download)

I also have a copy of the booklet which was used for field excursions in London during the event. It has some interesting details to this date. Would be interesting to follow the route of one or two and see how much it has changed in the intervening 60 years.


The RGS was involved in hosting the event, and one can imagine the delegates entering the building from Kensington Gore, and then heading along the road to the Royal Albert Hall.



I'm going to see if I can find details of this event.

There was also a dinner at Regent's Park Zoo.

Source:

https://research-portal.st-andrews.ac.uk/files/263517541/Clayton_2019_AAAG_geography_sempire_AAM.pdf

Wilma Fairchild's piece in the RGS journal:
https://www.jstor.org/stable/212857

“The Record.” The Geographical Journal, vol. 129, no. 2, 1963, pp. 242–50. JSTOR, http://www.jstor.org/stable/1792705. Accessed 18 July 2024.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

2024: Hina Robinson

For the third year out of the last four, the GA President will be a teacher, and a female state-school teacher for the second year in a row....