Wednesday 1 November 2023

Thought for the Day

From the GA President for 1972, teacher Alan D Nicholls.

"We see the demands on the teacher changing, and in particular his [sic] former role in describing the world is usurped by the television, radio and cinema. 

Now he has to equip his pupils to live critically and, if possible, creatively in this smaller, new world of the jet plane and computer.

 This I think is a powerful argument that a sabbatical year for travel should be provided so that they, having seen something of the world for themselves, can correct wrong impressions which their pupils may have received from the various media."

NICHOLLS, A. D. “Environmental Studies in Schools.” Geography, vol. 58, no. 3, 1973, pp. 197–206. JSTOR, http://www.jstor.org/stable/40568109. Accessed 1 Nov. 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...