Tuesday 28 December 2021

Pandemic Presidents

It occurred to me that Gill Miller, Susan Pike and myself are the latest in a series of "pandemic Presidents": those whose term of office have fallen during a pandemic. Hopefully Alastair Owens' will be immediately post-pandemic.

The last time that there was a similar pandemic was following the first World War.

At the time, the Spanish Flu apparently led to 1918 being the first year when deaths were higher than births.

The President in 1918 was Sir William Mitchell Ramsay

The President in 1919 was Professor Grenville A J Cole, FSA

It would be fascinating to find out more about the impact that the Spanish Flu had on the workings of the GA at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...