Thursday 26 October 2023

D. Chapallaz

I first noticed the name D. Chapallaz on a report on a consultation to create a single examination to replace CSE and 'O' Levels, which was proposed in the mid 1970s. It was over a decade until the GCSE was created and introduced - at the start of my teaching career.

I had a look to see who they were as it's an unusual name.

Mr. D. Chapallaz was the Secretary of the Secondary Schools Committee - the one I served on when it was called the SPC in the 1970s. He lived in Hitchin at the time - his address is included. He also served on other committees and his name appears in a range of articles.

I also found a Nick Chapallaz works for a company called GeoPlace - that's quite an unusual name and two people linked with geography and geospatial - he previously worked for ESRI UK - could there be a connection?

I wonder also if he was this old boy from Haberdashers' Aske's.

It would be good to find out more about Mr. Chapallaz and also an image too. Another of the many people to have passed through the Association's committees over the years, of which there are many thousands. A few have had their moment here, but many others still remain 'anonymous'.

Sources

“The Geographical Association.” Geography, vol. 60, no. 4, 1975, pp. 311–22. JSTOR, http://www.jstor.org/stable/41415055 

Chapallaz, D.P., Davis, P.P., Fitzgerald, B.P., Grenyer, N., Rolfe, J. and Walker, D.R.F. (1970) Hypothesis Testing in Field Studies, Teaching Geography Occasional Papers 11, Sheffield: The Geographical Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog, particularly if you are letting me know more about a particular Past President. I'll be in touch shortly as I will shortly be notified of your comment by e-mail.

A new role for me at the RGS-IBG

I've been connected with the RGS-IBG for quite a number of years in various ways, as were quite a few other former GA Presidents. I'...